Saturday, March 14, 2009

14 - Jonas visits from Canada



Well the time has gone extremely quickly since Jonas first arrived to when he left. Fifteen days truly seems like a ton of time, but let me assure you it went by fast! I wasn't even the one on vacation and it went by fast.

I started off by showing Jonas around the city a bit. We headed to Hyde Park, the CBD and then the Botanical Gardens and the Rocks and Darling Harbour...all in one day! I did my best to tire him out and it worked pretty well.

At that point I ended up catching a nasty cold and started feeling like shiza (that's German for shit for those who don't know) and missed work and man it was unfortunate. Due to illness, I couldn't go out and do anything for a while. Luckily, one of our mutual friends was also here and so he got to head off and do some cool stuff with him. For example, he went to Adelaide and wine country there...the lucky s.o.b.....

Once he got back, I took him shopping! What a good shopping companion I am! We managed to find some new clothes for him that worked well for him. It's always fun going out and doing something like that. (And when I say "something like that" I mean spending someone else's money hehe!)

Afterwards, we headed back to my new flat (more on this in another blog later) to make some dinner before our evening plan. Jonas decided to pack and I was working on dinner when this massively huge lightning/thunderstorm rolled through. It had ridiculously intense
rains and lightning, but only last for about 20 minutes or so. The sun came out afterwards and we thought nothing of it.

For the evening, we had planned to do the BridgeClimb on the Sydney Harbour Bridge. I actually wasn't as nervous as I thought I would be, but Jonas was just as nervous as I thought he would be. We spent a good part of an hour filling out all the forms and getting suited up and learning how the walk would work. As we were doing this, the room had a huge wall of windows and we just kept seeing flashes of lightning.

By the time we were at the start of the course the skies just opened up and it was an absolute downpour once again. Numerous flashes of lightning mixed with loud thunder really didn't give us much hope of completing the journey. We went out anyways in rain gear to the next safe area and we were absolutely soaked! It was gusting up to about 35 km/h and when you have a ton of rain flying at you that fast...it kind of hurts hehe.

The storm persisted and we didn't get to go past the first safe area, so Jonas and I never got to climb to the top, but we were close! It is one of my goals to do it before I leave here.

As I am writing this, Jonas is on his way back to Vancouver and will be somewhere in New Zealand to make his transfer home, back to shite weather and cold temperatures! It may be turning into fall here, but it's still 20+ degrees and sunny nearly every day!

No comments: