So I was lucky enough to get to go see the Medibank International here in Sydney on Tuesday. It was pretty spectacular! I didn't stay for the whole day as it was a long one (not to mention that sitting in the sun for a long time really isn't too fun, especially when your knees get burnt...) but I was able to see a few matches.
Prior to the matches starting, I was lucky enough to see Novak Djokovic warming up on centre court. He is quite good, but has a very cocky attitude about himself. He did sign autographs for people though on his way out. The first match was Daniela Hantuchova against Agnieska Radwanska (quite the doozy to spell!) and was mediocre at best. Daniela has long legs and some great shots, but she just seemed to be out of practice a bit. Hopefully she will do better in the Australian Open.
The next match I saw was Serena Williams (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) against some Italian player named Sara Errani. Personally, I didn't like her (most likely because she was playing my favourite player) because she wasn't that great of a player. She also looked like a gremlin while serving (I will let you figure out the visuals for that one). Serena is an amazing player to see in person. She has a dominating figure and can hit winners from the most unusual places and at the most unusual times. I was just amazed by how spectacular she was. When Serena won points, it was off winners. When Sara won points, it was usually by an error made by Serena. Her fastest serve was 187km/h (again, !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). I would be lucky to hit even a quarter of that speed! Overall, I was glad to have seen her play in person and to see how amazing she is.
I watched a bit of Lleyton Hewitt's match against some French guy, but I was too tired to stay. So I headed around the grounds and when nothing caught my eye, I decided to leave. On my walk back to the train station, I was walking along when I saw someone who looked vaguely familiar....I couldn't quite place it, but when his eye caught mine, I knew who it was! It was Jamie Murray (Andy Murray's brother, who plays doubles) coming back from a work out! So random!
Alas, that ended my day at the Medibank International. However, something I have noticed since being here has intrigued me so much that I figured I would make a quick comment about it. Have you ever heard the theory that everybody has a twin? I always thought it was true (look at celebrity look-alikes!) but never fully believed it. Since being here in Sydney, I have seen twins for several people. It is insanely weird, but if you ever want to try and find your twin, I highly recommend you come to Australia...
No comments:
Post a Comment