So I am finally getting adjusted to this whole Australia time zone and climate thing I think. I have been able to get good sleeps without waking up, and I have also avoided the dreaded falling asleep mid-day thing. I am still a little uncoordinated and my energy levels aren't quite what they normally are, but I am not complaining! It's 830pm and I haven't fallen asleep yet!
I ventured out on Thursday to the bank to finish setting up my bank account with Commonwealth Bank. The lady who helped me was quite nice, but man are banks different that what they are in Canada. They still have plastic, bulletproof shields in front of them. Jonathan informs me that some of the larger branches are more open and that one bank just has random pods everywhere instead of desks...crazy Australian bankers!
Having gone into the bank, I also had to go to Arncliffe to do it. I visited the post office to collect an item for Jonathan and then ventured through the grocery shop there called IGA. It's not quite the same as the one in Vancouver, but I have a feeling it must be similar somehow. It was interesting seeing all the different foods that we have here, but relabeled or renamed. For instance, Nestle Cheerios...
Today Jonathan and I slept in, cleaned and then headed off to the harbour of Sydney and downtown. I had my first experience on their train system which is pretty efficient. It is reminiscent of the underground in London. Jonathan pointed out that it's most likely because they tried to make it like the underground in London....ah well.
Circular Quay, which is where we got off the train, is also where the Opera House is as well as the bridge, ferries, botanical gardens and craploads of people. It was pretty busy when we got there...in fact it was busy EVERYWHERE downtown today. The Opera house is beautiful. The tiles are yellowed (damn photoshop for making them white!) but what do you expect from something that is exposed to the sun and other elements!
Asides from wandering around the bay, we wandered around downtown and Jonathan took me to the shopping district and a few other places he thought I may want to find on my own if he weren't around. All in all, it was a great day to explore and see some of the iconic parts of Sydney.
1 comment:
David old boy, the sum total of time zones between Vancouver and Sydney is five hours. Not much different then from Vancouver to Halifax. Not the brutal eight or nine hours to Europe.
Doug
Post a Comment